In this tutorial, we will guide you on how to configure your OpenCart 3 Store Option Settings. In the following lines, we will cover the Products, Reviews, Vouchers, Taxes, Account, Checkout, Stock, Affiliates, Returns, and Captcha settings.
In order to begin, please log in to your OpenCart Admin Dashboard and navigate through the left menu bar to System > Settings.
After you access the “Stores” page, please click on the “Edit” button (the pencil icon) next to your store name and you will be redirected to the “Edit Settings” page.
Once you access the “Settings” page, please make sure to switch to the “Option” tab.
Configuring Option Settings
As you will notice the “Option” tab is split into a few sections related to different parts of your store - we will review all of them and explain each of the settings separately in order to make sure you perfectly understand their purpose.
- Category Product Count - This setting controls whether the number of products included in a given category or subcategory will be displayed at the “Top Menu” bar on your store frontend. Please note that if you have a large number of products and categories, you can relatively improve your website performance by not displaying the count. If you want to disable the count, please make sure to mark “No”.
- Default Items Per Page (Admin) - The value entered here determines the number of items (products, attributes, orders, customers, etc.) displayed per page in your admin area. For example, the default value “20” will display 20 products per page when you go to Catalog > Products.
- Allow Reviews - This setting allows you to control whether your visitors will be able to add reviews for your products. If you keep it set to “Yes”, the reviews left from your visitors will be displayed on the product pages in your store frontend. Respectively, if you would like to disable the reviews option, please make sure to tick the “No” checkbox.
- Allow Guest Reviews - This setting determines whether non-existing customers will be allowed to add reviews for your products. By default, “Yes” is selected, therefore all your visitors will be able to leave reviews regardless of whether they are logged in to their accounts or not.
- Voucher Min - The value entered here determines the minimum amount (counted in your store’s default currency) required in order for a gift voucher to be purchased by your customers.
- Voucher Max - Respectively, in this field you can enter a value that will determine the maximum amount allowed for gift vouchers.
- Display Prices With Tax - This setting determines whether catalog prices will be displayed including or excluding tax rates. If you select “Yes” an estimated tax rate will be included in the price displayed on the store frontend (the price excluding tax will be displayed beneath it). If you select “No”, the tax rate will be displayed only during the checkout process.
- Use Store Tax Address - From this dropdown menu, you can select the store address (“Shipping” or “Payment”) which will be used as a base for the tax calculation in case the order is submitted from a guest account and address information is not available.
- Use Customer Tax Address - From this dropdown menu, you will need to select which customer address (“Shipping” or “Payment”) to be used for the tax calculation in case the order is submitted by a customer logged in their account.
- Customers Online - This setting allows you to control whether your customers’ online activity will be tracked via the customer report section. By default, this functionality is disabled, therefore if you need to enable it, please tick the “Yes” checkbox.
- Customers Activity - Enabling this setting, will allow you to track the actions performed by your customers, such as submitting orders, via the customer report section.
- Log Customer Searches - This setting determines whether search queries submitted by customers in your store will be recorded. If you need to enable this tracking, please tick the “Yes” checkbox.
- Customer Group - This setting determines the default customer group that newly signed visitors will be automatically assigned to. Please note that at this point, the only available group is the “Default” one. You are able to create additional customer groups by going to Sales > Customers > Customer Groups. Creating customer groups will allow you to easily organize and manage a specific group of customers.
- Customer Groups - If you keep this setting enabled, your customers will be provided with a list of all available customer groups and will be able to select the group they prefer to be assigned to.
- Login Display Prices - This setting allows you to control if your product prices will be hidden from guest visitors. Enabling this setting will require all your visitors to sign in and log into their account in order to see your product prices.
- Max Login Attempts - The value specified here determines the number of failed login attempts allowed before customers’ accounts get locked for an hour.
- Account Terms - From this dropdown menu, you will need to select the terms that will be displayed during account creation and oblige your customers to agree to them in order to successfully finalize the signup process.
- Invoice Prefix - In this field, you can specify the invoice prefix. The invoice ID count will begin from 1 for each unique prefix.
- Display Weight on Cart Page - If this setting is enabled, the weight specified for the selected item(s) will be displayed at the top of the Checkout page.
- Guest Checkout - This setting will allow you to control if guest checkouts will be allowed in your store. If you select “Yes” your visitors will be able to place orders without a need of creating an account. Alternatively, if you want only registered users to be able to place orders on your store, please make sure to tick the “No” checkbox.
- Checkout Terms - From this dropdown menu, you will need to select the term page that will be displayed during checkout to your customers and they will be required to agree to them in order to proceed further. Selecting the “None” option will allow them to finalize the checkout process without the need of agreeing to any terms.
- Order Status - From this dropdown menu, you can select the order status which will be automatically applied to all new orders after they are successfully submitted by your customers. The order status will be also displayed to your customer in their accounts My Account > My Orders.
- Processing Order Status - From this list, you can select the default statuses which will be applicable to orders that are currently being processed. In order for the stock subtraction, coupon, voucher, and reward redemption to start the orders must reach the statuses selected here.
- Complete Order Status - From this list, you can select the default statuses which will be applicable to orders that had been already processed. Once the orders are assigned to one of the statuses selected here, your customers will be able to access the purchased downloadable products and gift vouchers.
- Fraud Order Status - From this dropdown menu, you can select the default status which will be automatically applied to orders that failed the Fraud verification process. The Fraud status is triggered by suspicious customer activity, such as alerting payment details or applying already used coupons, vouchers, and reward points.
- API User - From this dropdown menu, you will be able to select the default API User the API should use.
- Display Stock - This setting allows you to control if the stock inventory availability will be displayed on the storefront product pages.
- Show Out of Stock Warning - From this setting, you will be able to control if an “Out of Stock” message is displayed on your store frontend for products currently unavailable in your stock inventory.
- Stock Checkout - This setting will let you control if customers will be allowed to still purchase item(s) even if they are out of stock. If you want to enable that possibility, please make sure to mark “Yes”.
- Affiliate Group - From this dropdown menu, you can select the customer group all your affiliates will be automatically assigned to after account creation. As previously mentioned, you can create additional groups if needed by going to Sales > Customers > Customer Groups.
- Affiliate Required Approval - If set to “No” all affiliate accounts will be automatically approved. In case you prefer to review and manually approve affiliate accounts, please tick the “Yes” checkbox.
- Automatic Commission - This setting will allow you to control if the affiliate commissions will be automatically added when the order(s) reach “Complete” status. By default, it is disabled, therefore the commissions will require manual approval. If you want to change it, please select “Yes”.
- Affiliate Commission (%) - From this field, you can control the affiliate commission percentage which will be gained by customer purchases.
- Affiliate Terms - From this dropdown menu you can select the terms page your customers will need to agree to before they can create their affiliate accounts.
- Return Terms - From this dropdown menu, you will be able to select the terms your customers will need to agree to in order to submit a return.
- Return Status - The selected options from this dropdown menu will determine the return status as it will be displayed in your customers’ accounts.
- Captcha - From this dropdown menu you will be able to select the Captcha method which will be used in your store. Please note that Captcha modules need to be manually installed first in order to enable them. More information you can find in our guide based on How to enable Captcha in OpenCart 3.
- Captcha Page - From this list, you can select the pages on which you would like the Captcha form to be enabled.
Finally, when you are ready with the configuration of all settings, please do not forget to click on the blue "Save" button located at the top right corner of the page in order to record the changes you have made.
All done now! Congratulations on configuring one big part of the main settings related to your Online Store. We hope you have found our guide useful and easy to follow and we would like to welcome you to contact our Support Team in case any further assistance is required.